September is Hunger Action Month and Feeding South Florida will encourage Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Monroe County residents to “go orange” in support of hunger relief through events and activities all month long. This year’s theme is “Food Shouldn’t Be an Impossible Choice.” Feeding South Florida provided nutritious food to more than 1.1 million individuals due to inflation, the strained supply chain, rising fuel prices, increased housing costs, and other factors stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic.
To commemorate Feeding America’s Hunger Action Month, Feeding South Florida will unveil the winning piece from its third annual Feed Your Creativity Art Competition. Artwork by Caeden Khouri, a sixth grader at Coral Springs Charter School, will be displayed as a truck wrap on a 36-foot tractor trailer that travels throughout the four counties.
South Floridians who want to get involved during Hunger Action Month can help in many ways:
- Start a Fund Drive: Raise money with friends, family, and coworkers online.
- Start a Food Drive: Feeding South Florida relies on the generous support of the community to host food drives to ensure it receives shelf-stable, high-demand products.
- Become a Restaurant Partner: Becoming a restaurant partner allows the restaurant to not only give back, but also allows immense amount of traction to your restaurant.
- Participate in the 2022 Outrun Hunger 5K – Palm Beach County: On September 24 at 7:30 a.m., participants can raise funds for Feeding South Florida by running or walking during this fun-filled event taking place at Okeeheelee Park (7715 Forest Hill Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33413). Participants can join the event as an individual or a team.
- Pack to Give Back – Corporate Teams (September 8, 22, and 29): Companies are encouraged to volunteer to sort food and pack meal boxes for families at one of Feeding South Florida’s warehouses. Shifts are from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Hunger Action Month Sorting Shifts (September 8, 22, and 29): Family and friends are invited to volunteer to sort food and pack meal boxes for families at one of FeedingSouth Florida’s warehouses. Shifts include: 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Rock The Orange Sortathon (September 10): Volunteer to sort food and pack meal boxes for families in your best orange outfit at one of Feeding South Florida’s warehouses. Prizes will be awarded. Shifts are 8:30 to 10:30 a.m., 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and a special shift just for children (with adult supervision) from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Kitchen Experience (September 15): Volunteer at Feeding South Florida’s 5,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art multi-purpose Community Kitchen in Boynton Beach to prepare and cook meals for children and seniors. Shifts are 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Mustache Monday (September 19): Purchase a $5 orange mustache (while supplies last) from Feeding South Florida to show your support for hunger relief efforts. Post and tag @FeedingSouthFlorida on social media wearing the mustache.
- Hunger Action Day (September 23): This year, Feeding South Florida celebrates Hunger Action Day, also known as “GO ORANGE DAY.” Purchase an “End Hunger” T-shirt for $20 and wear it to support ending hunger in South Florida.
- Register an individual or company’s #GoOrange to be added to Feeding South Florida’s community activity calendar. Contact Emily Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.